Following the introduction, we will now go through the steps to render MDL materials in 3ds Max 2016. In the instructions below, [3dsMax2016] referes to the folder where 3ds Max 2016 is installed (typically C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016).
1. Unzip the attached package NVIDIA_MDL_3dsMax into a temporary folder.
The package NVIDIA_MDL_3dsMax.zip contains the following files:
- mdl_examples_for_maya_3dsmax.zip – Archive with mdl examples
- libmdl.dll – Latest version (126.96.36.199) of the MDL mental ray dll
- mdl_max.mi – GUI file to display pretty MDL names
- MDLScene.max – Sample 3ds Max scene with MDL materials
2. Unzip mdl_examples_for_maya_3dsmax.zip into a newly created folder [3dsMax2016]\NVIDIA\shaders_3rdparty\mdl\
3. Install the file mdl_max.mi in the folder [3dsMax2016]\NVIDIA\shaders_autoload\mentalray\include\
4. Copy the new version of libmdl.dll into the folder: [3dsMax2016]\
Rendering in 3ds Max 2016
Start 3ds Max 2016, chose mr production renderer and open material editor. You should see a new set of materials:
You might want to load the scene MDLScene.max, it has some MDL materials already set.
Here is mental ray rendering with few MDL materials assigned:
And iray rendering: